Monday, August 09, 2004

I hope you like it more than its previous owner did, Richard

The following is from Richard Lopez' really bad movies:

In Praise of the Good Stuff

here is a list of books I received the past week:
Big Smoke: New Zealand Poems 1960-1975 edited by Alan Brunton, Murray Edmond and Michele Leggott (Auckland University Press 2000)

this book is the Big Find in a long, long time. I've been wondering how to get the books of fellow poet/blogger Mark Young and now I'm quite literally salivating. this is the book, I believe, that got Young writing again. the collection gathers together the writings of New Zealand poets and documents a scene of discovery and experimentation. there is a really cool autographed poster for a reading reproduced that is a photo of a bearded Young with James K. Baxter (also bearded) and David Mitchell. the poster reads: An Evening of Poetry, Barry Lett Galleries, Aug. 20, 8 pm. I feel very lucky in finding this book. there is even an inscription in gold ink on the frontispiece: Happy Birthday Kirsten/ Your 10th Oct. 2000/ love, Richard.

hey, wait, that's my name. what the huh?

No comments: