Thursday, February 23, 2006

The evil eye

One of the joys of what I shall euphemistically describe as reaching a certain age is having a doctor tell you that what's occurred is because you're old.

I have what he told me is a conjunctival haemorrhage. In other words, I'm safe if, in the next few days, I get into a situation where my opponents have been told not to fire until you see the whites of my eyes. My left eye has next to no white in it, is red, from a burst blood vessel.

& the reason for it? No specific reason, just age, old age - amended to as you grow older after I cast a one-eyed sideswiping glance at the doctor. Just happens, nothing you can take for it, do to it, doesn't affect your vision. Only wait till it goes away, a series of colour transformations, red through to yellow, just like a bruise.

1 comment:

Ernesto said...

I hope you get better soon, Mark. I do suffer a lot from my eyes. I wear contacts and I am not a "candidate" for laser surgery so I am stuck with either very thick eye-glasses or disposable contact lens that are prone to contamination and therefore all-too common infections. Specially in this city, with such polluted skies. So my eyes are always red. That, and spending too much time in front of the computer screen, and then all the reading...

In 30 years, I may be blind, if I ever make it...