Saturday, July 24, 2004

What sight the light lets in

It is
that time of
the evening
just after the light
begins to fade
& you
begin to
lose your sight

We sat
outside a
café on the quayside
drinking flat white coffees
& talking of Portugal

Let
our ferries leave
without us

Talking of

The ones
after that
as well

Talking

Finally

I sit
on the back deck
facing away
from the way
the ferry
is going

It is
a deliberate act

It is
a replication

of you standing
in the same place
on the ferry that
left twenty minutes
before mine

I watched you leave
I waved
I do not know
if you could see me

It is
that time
of the evening

I watch the wharf recede
I am there on it
I am waving

It is a deliberate act

Just in case

I know
what it felt like
to wave
goodbye

I do not know
what sight
the light let in

But

Now
I can tell
what it felt like
to watch me
wave goodbye

Just in case

we ever
need to know

No comments: