Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I have conscious memories of every U.S. President since Harry Truman.
I remember Eisenhower warning about the growth of the U.S. military-industrial complex.
I have lived through the Cold War, the Korean War, the war in Vietnam, Desert Storm.
I have heard U.S. generals advocate nuclear strikes on North Korea & North Vietnam. Reason prevailed.
I have seen the U.S. topple regimes through covert operations, prop up regimes, assist regimes because it suited them, stand by & do nothing when they should have been doing something.
The U.S. supported the Mujahaddin who later became the Taliban, supported Iraq against Iran, because it suited them at the time.
The U.S. did not support the nationalist policies of Tito, Castro & Ho Chi Minh because they perceived them as communist. They destroyed Allende.
Johnson lied about the Gulf of Tonkin. Forty years later Bush lied about the weapons of mass destruction. Nixon just lied.
Jimmy Carter seems to me to have been the only ethical President the U.S. has had in the last 40 years. Which is probably why he only lasted four years in the job.
I find less horror in 9/11 than I do in the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, than I do in the genocide in Cambodia, in Rwanda, in the former Yugoslavia.
I can find no justification for any armed incursion by the U.S. since the second world war.
I cannot be the only one who views what Israel is doing to the Palestinians as criminal, who sees that the blind eye that the U.S. turns continues to fuel those activities.
So much has gone on over the years that has disturbed me; & yet I have never been so frightened by the actions taken by the U.S. as I have been by those taken under the current President's administration.
I am terrified of what will happen if Bush is re-elected.

1 comment:

harry k stammer said...

add to the list, John Ashcroft (no comment needed), and all I can say is, you're not the only one... hks