Saturday, October 02, 2004

Weird tales

Yesterday afternoon there was a kookaburra on the clothesline. Nothing strange about that - we have a garden that has lots of kookaburra food in it, lizards & large grasshoppers, so it's not unusual to find the birds perched on branches or the pool fence or the clothesline, wishin' & a-prayin' as the song goes.

What was weird about this bird was that it had something sticking up out of the top of its head. At first I thought it was a feather, then, as it changed the angle of its scanning, I thought it was a leaf. Not so. When it turned its head in another direction I saw that it was a piece of blue plastic, something like the closures that you find on bread wrappers, with letters, possibly PFP, on it. I took some photos, but since I have an el cheapo camera, poor resolution, part of a combination with binoculars, I can't be sure exactly what it said.

I asked the kookaburra about it. Its reply was that if it told me, it would then have to kill me. I left it at that.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wise move, I think, Mark.

Interesting though, that thing birds have with blue 'stuff'.